Monday, November 2, 2009

rescue


This past Sunday, I taught Sunday School. It isn't usually my week to teach, but I am going on a road trip this coming weekend and needed to switch with someone. I think that was divine intervention.

I taught on the rescue mission of the Willie and Martin handcart companies. I know the stories of those destitute pioneers fairly well. But to actually teach the stories turned out to be quite an emotional experience. Those poor saints!

Which brings me to the story of "my rescue".

Eight years ago my mother's doctors told us that there was nothing else that they could do and that it was "a matter of weeks". I think the number thrown out was 3-8 weeks. Not a lot.

I was in Utah at the time living with a couple of girls and going to school. I was poor, as most college students are and didn't have the means to make the trip to Chicago. I was beside myself and didn't know what I was going to do.

That is when I got a call from a friend from High School. Stewart Barney. He called to tell me he was on his way out the next day with his pick up truck to come and get me and my belongings so that I could move home and be with my family. He made the 20+ hour drive to Utah. While he was here for the 4 short hours that we went down to Salt Lake to see Temple Square, my mother passed away. Stu was here for 5 hours total. I had enough time to pack up my things and pack them in his truck and we made the trip back to Chicago- another 20+ hours.

I am still moved by this act of kindness. We were 22 years old, and he was so amazingly kind to do that for a friend. It is truly amazing.

So when I think of those saints that made the trip back-the 400 miles- and I think of how selfless those men were, I think of my own selfless friend.

4 comments:

melanie said...

I love that. So amazing the angels in our life. Thank you for sharing!

April said...

That is a nice story Tara. Thank you for sharing too.

Lisa said...

I seem to remember taking that drive before ;), but there and back all together is a long way! What a great friend.

Jim said...

I wish I had been that kind of friend for you. I think I was one that you just enjoyed teasing.