Wednesday, October 20, 2010

my cup runneth over


I have less than 2 weeks being a nanny left... chapter closing.

November 22, 2002 was my first day being a nanny. I thought that morning, as I woke up in a strange house with people I didn't know, on the opposite side of the country from everyone I knew- that I must be absolutely out of my mind. That was 8 years ago.

Since then I have "raised" 7 kids. 7 children that I have loved with my whole heart. 7.

When you become a nanny, I don't think you realize the road that you are embarking on. I don't think you really understand what is about to happen between you and the child you are going to be taking care of. You give a little bit of yourself to them. A small piece of your heart. You never get that bit of your heart back. But the wonderful thing is, that the child you give it to always has it with them. For the rest of their lives.

It could be a song that you sing when you are teaching them to tie their shoe. Or maybe a phrase you say when you are asking them to brush their teeth. Perhaps it is a movie that you see together. Years down the road, when maybe they are teaching someone to tie their shoe, they will remember how you taught them. When years from now they see that same movie, they will remember that you took them. I think right now if you lined all 7 of my kids up and asked them. "How much does Tara love you?" They would all answer, "As big as the sky". I don't know where I heard that phrase, but I have used it will all of my kids. These are the little things in my life that have made the past 8 years such a blessing. I have absolutely loved these 7 little spirits.

My heart aches with the knowledge of not spending my days with children. I have taught 3 kids how to ride a bike. 5 kids how to tie their shoes. I have done 6 science fair projects, 3 book reports, 18 parent/teacher conferences, 51 doctor appointments, 2 potty trainings, 5 field trips, kissed hundreds of boo boos, taught 5 kids how to read. And one very special little girl how to love Rascal Flatts. I will never forget my time that I have spent with each of these kids. Their laughter that in turn made me laugh and their tears that made my heart break. I have learned so much from these little ones. I have had 7 children love me unconditionally and without caution. And therefor taught me that a hug and an "I love you, Tara" will make almost any trial or heartbreak in my life seem, to pale in comparison. My heart overflows with emotion and adoration for these children that have come into my life. And as much as I have had the opportunity to spend the first years of their life with them, they have changed my "middle" years for the better.

So, Clem, Aubrey, Alex, Madeleine, Sophia, Alexandre and Lucas- I love you as big as the sky.

4 comments:

L.R.L said...

tears in my eyes.

Lizzie - The Dancing Toad Blog said...

That was beautiful. I have chills.

Terina said...

It brought tears to my eyes as well and made me think of all 13 of the kids I have nannied over the years. You put this very well! Thank you!

Melanie said...

So touching, a mother's heart to be sure!!! Love you!