As we come into adulthood, I find that Christmas holds some disappointment to us. We are so excited as kids, to have Santa come. The magic of the season is wonderful. We make out lists to send to Santa, hoping that we have been good while he "sees us while we're sleeping, and knows when we're awake". I remember my mother packing us up in the car and driving us to the post office to "mail" our letters to Santa. And looking out our frosted windows for a little red glowing nose in the winter nigth sky. Could swear I saw it once...
But as I have become and adult, the season has lot some of its magic for me. It is due to the over spending and the red and green decor through out the malls. And I think there is a bit of me, that still wants the big jolly elf to visit on Christmas Eve. To have a surprise under the tree.
And now, as I ponder the season and what it hold for us as adults, it occurs to me that maybe Mary got a little frustrated too. Here she was, about to give birth to the Savior of the world, and she is given a barn to labor in. She traveled by donkey. (I am quite sure that was not a comfort to her!) And as she was in her pains of labor, she is interrupted by people that don't speak her language and she is given Myrrh. I can't help but think that she just looked at those "wise" men and said "Myrrh? Really? Gee, I always wanted myrrh!"
So now, I try to reflect on the birth of my Savior. This season means re-birth. A new beginning. And while I am sure that Mary wasn't quite as cynical as I am.... I learned a lesson from her. Things are hard. We are asked to do difficult things in this life. And we go through dark times. But I know that in the end of it all, the Son comes. And it is this time of year, more than ever.. that we let Him in.
No comments:
Post a Comment