Friday, March 27, 2009

I absolutely stole this...

Just to preface, I stole this from my friend Lisa Lewis' blog... she loves me anyway.

Jean-Dominique Bauby

"Other letters simply relate the small events that punctuate the passage of time: roses picked at dusk, the laziness of a rainy Sunday, a child crying himself to sleep. Capturing the moment, these small slices of life, these small gusts of happiness, move me more deeply than all the rest. A couple of lines or eight pages, a Middle Eastern stamp or a suburban postmark...I hoard all these letters like a treasure. One day I hope to fasten them end to end in a half mile streamer to float in the wind like a banner raised to the glory of friendship."- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly



About the author: On December 8, 1995 at the age of 43, Jean-Dominique Bauby suffered a massive stroke. When he woke up twenty days later, he found he was entirely speechless; he could only blink his left eyelid. This rare condition is called Locked-in Syndrome, a condition wherein the mental faculties are intact but the entire body is paralyzed. Despite his condition, he wrote the book The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by blinking hen the correct letter was reached by a person slowly reciting the alphabet over and over again.

No comments: