Hand signals. I often wonder where they came from... and how do they die? And when they die, do the old people get to still use them?Example: When I was in High School, the common hand signal for "roll down your window" was to pretend that you were using the window knob to .. well.. roll down your window. (For my younger readers, this has been replaced by the button on the door of your car. I know, can you believe we had to actually roll down the window?!)
Now let's talk about what the signs have evolved to.
Tonight, I was driving home and pulled up to a friend in her car at a red light. She rolled down her window using the handy dandy button on the door and then looked at me and stuck her arm through the window as if to say "Mine is down. See? Now you do it..." After a split second of confusion, I rolled my window down and we proceeded to have a conversation at our red light.
Now, at what point in time, did I reach the hand signal threshold, where some are dying and others are replacing them? Does this mean I am getting old? Does this mean that I need to look on the Internet for the "new" signals? I surely don't want to be caught not knowing what signal replaced the one I have been using for the past 30+ years. (sigh)
For future reference, if you are caught at a red light, don't be the moron in the car that is still using the signal of the window knob roll down. It has been replaced.
1 comment:
I will still be that moron. My car HAS the knob to roll down the window! Nothing electronic about my civic..
Post a Comment